It's all fun and games, til someone puts an eye out......






Saturday, August 7, 2010

This Actually Just Happened to Me

I am a contact lens wearer. 

I have been a contact lens wearer since I was 12 years old.

If you are counting, that is over 27 years.

In other words, a long time.

I have had my trials and tribulations with contacts.  I went through the color-contact lens phase, gas permeable and also the soft contacts.

About 10 years ago, I went to disposeable contacts.  Super easy.  Wear for two weeks, then throw away.  Sleep in them a few to many times, then throw them away.  Rip them on accident, and throw them away.

You get the picture.

Some of you might be saying, Why not laser eye surgery?  Why waste time on filmy, flimsy contacts when you could correct your vision in an outpatient surgery?

Fear.  Watching Kim Kardashian do it on Keeping Up with the Kardashians.  Knowing I have to keep my eyes open while they cut on me.  And finally, not being able to complain about my contacts anymore.

There.  Now you know.

Fast forward to this morning.  My right eye had been bothering me yesterday, so my gut was telling me it was time to throw out my right eye contact.  So, I did.

I put in my left contact and felt it out.  Looked in the mirror a couple of times, and it felt good.

So, I reached into my cabinet and pulled out a box of single, disposeable contacts.  I rinsed the old contact down the sink and opened the new package.  I rinsed it with the solution and stuck it in my eye. 

At first, I thought it was a "bum" lens. My vision was completely blurry and felt distinctly odd.  I looked in the mirror, then around the room.  No, something was wrong.

I began cursing the contact lens makers.  Why would they make me pay for a bad lens?  I was already planning my ranting letter to 1 800 contacts. 

Then, I took the contact out of my eye.  My left eye.  I looked closely at it.  It looked noticebly thick.  I poked closer and realized there were TWO contact lenses there!!

No wonder!!  Two contact lenses together, basically negate the vision of one contact.  That made sense!

I had two lenses in!  What a bonus!  I had never gotten two lenses in one package before, what a deal!

Sound too good to be true?  Well, rewind just a bit.

My right eye was bothering me, so I took my contact out of that eye and rinsed it down the drain.
When I took the double contact lens out of my eye, it was my LEFT eye.  So, instead of putting the new contact into my right eye, as planned, I put it on TOP of the left contact lens, already in place.

So, there was no bonus contact, no BUM contact, no nothing.

Just a dopey contact lens wearer.

I am so glad I did not send out that email to 1 800 contacts.

So glad............