It's all fun and games, til someone puts an eye out......






Thursday, August 26, 2010

Embrace the Madness

I recently saw a saying that made me pause.  It was made by Lewis Carroll. 
You know, the guy that wrote Alice in Wonderland.  Really sounds much like something the Cheshire Cat would say.

"If you don't know where you are going, then any road can take you there."

I really thought it was profound.
Any road can take you there.  It doesn't really matter.
Just when you think you are lost and have no idea where you are going, you can think about this quote.

It made me want to see what else Lewis Carroll had to say.
So, I did some research.  Turns out he was pretty witty.  Go figure.

This quote from Alice to the Cheshire Cat was funny:


"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?" said Alice.
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to."  replied the Cheshire cat.
"I don't much care where-" said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go."

Too right.

I also liked this one, and wish we could all apply it to life every day.

"Everything is funny, if you can laugh at it."

Humor really does have a way of softening things, huh?

Speaking of humor, I can totally relate to this next quote:

"I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then"

Isn't it funny how different life seems from the second you awake to the time you go to bed?  My point of view might very well change 20 times during one single day!

I also like this one, but find it hard to follow:

"If everybody minded their own business, the world would go around a great deal faster than it does."

It seems like a good policy, but probably very hard to accomplish!!

This last one is 100% true when you really think about it:

"One of the deep secrets of life is that all that is really worth doing is what we do for others."

Think about that one for a minute.  I mean, the things we do for ourselves are definitely worth it too, but really, many of the things we do, we do for others:  Kids, friends, family, animals, work, etc.  And it makes us feel good.

Do something nice for someone today.

It is worth it.

Or, be like me, and the Cheshire Cat, and just embrace the madness:

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

I think I will have that printed into a sign that I will proudly hang on my front door.