It's all fun and games, til someone puts an eye out......






Friday, November 19, 2010

Norman, Oklahoma

                        

Next stop on my crazy train is Norman, Oklahoma.

Yes, yes, yes.  Its the home of the Sooners.  If you are not a Sooners fan, I am terribly sorry for you.  I will keep you in my thoughts.  If you are a Sooner, then BOOMER SOONER!!!

It is a crazy cult like following, those Oklahoma Sooners. 

Truly, I don't know any different.  I was a Sooner born, and Sooner bred and when I die, I'll be Sooner dead.  RAH Oklahoma, RAH Oklahoma, RAH Oklahoma, OKU!!

Ok, I got all caught up in the insanity.

Basically, I never considered going to any other college.  And it was not because I was forced to go there, or my family pressured me.  After all, it wasn't like I was going to play on the football team, right?

So, I came.

And I conquered.

Or so I thought.

I loved being in Norman.  Quite frankly, I felt like I was at home.  It wasn't a huge place and the biggest thing there was the college.

And everyone loves college right?  Not the classes, so much, as I slept through my share of those...
But the whole experience.

The late night, do whatever you wants,  the sorority functions, pizza 24 hours a day, controlling what classes you took, lots of boys to date.

What's not to love?

I must say the campus is gorgeous too.  This is one of the ovals:

     

They were always doing cool floral designs in both of the ovals.

Also gorgeous, the Bizzell Memorial Library:

                    

And here is the world's tiniest picture of the dorm rooms there.  (It was all I could find)

                               

And if you have been to Norman, then you know about the stadium.  The sight is unbelievable.



And now on Game Day:

                                     
                                       

It is like a sea of red.....

There are also the statues across from the stadium of our Heisman Winners:

                                              image001-1.jpg Sam Bradford Heisman Park Statue at OU image by robbiejr

My favorite is the Sam Bradford statue with his famous touchdown pose.

I also have to throw out some props to my old Sorority house

1105 S. College.  It is still the only address I can remember off the top of my head.  And I only lived there for three years. 

                                              

It was truly gorgeous.

I had some favorite places to eat there also.  Pizza Shuttle is the first that comes to mind.  Not because it was my favorite, but because it was open til 4 in the morning and I ate that pizza more than any other food my freshman year.

                        

I also loved Classic 50's.  It was the original Sonic.  It has been in Norman before Sonic even came around.  And it had fried pickles!  Here is their menu board:

                  

There were a ton of cool places to eat in Norman.  But most of them are closed down now.  A few to mention:  Pinnochio's (best breadsticks award) and Cocina de Mino (best queso award) are a few. 

Also, Harold's closed down.  It was the clothing store I worked at all during college.  It was a fun place to make a buck.  

But you know whats still there?  Brothers.

                 

A fun bar we went to on the weekends in college.  In fact, Keith, the owner, married one of the gals I worked with at Harolds.  Sometimes I see them on game days.

Most importantly about Norman, it was where my first son was born.  His first house was ironically on Texas Street.  Maybe that was a sign......

I still love to go back to Norman.   And when I do, I always go downtown and check out Campus Corner.  I always check out the stadium.  And then I check out highway 35 to see what has been built.

My boys love Norman. 

They all want to go to OU. 

I can't say I blame them............